11.16.2008

Little Miss Independence

I have to say, I really love it when my husband goes out of town for work. Really, I do. If it were for any longer than a couple days, I might get sad and tired of my kids and ready to kick someone, but for two-ish days, I don't mind. Not one bit.

I don't know what makes it so different. When my husband is here, I only make dinner half the time (lately anyways). He doesn't hold me to this 50's expectation of having dinner on the table and his slippers in hand as I lovingly greet him at the door. Most days when he walks in, he gets a screaming baby who has been sitting in stank for 5 minutes because if I have to change ONE MORE DIAPER my head might start spinning and I will spew pea green something! The kids almost always need something and we are running around in a dither trying to make everything happen.

Maybe I like my independence too much. I enjoy not having to watch someone else's sci-fi shows. I can watch "National Treasure"... THREE times even. Heck, I may even throw in "You've Got Mail" for a change.

Maybe it's because I can make toast and yogurt for dinner and call it good. I don't feel any pressure to impress my kids who think I am cool anyways. My husband doesn't care if I make dinner out of a box or tell him to stop at Wendy's on the way home from work. I put that pressure on myself. But that pressure goes away when he does.

Maybe it's because I wear yoga pants all day and watch daytime TV and eat ice cream from the carton...did you hear that...THE CARTON! Nice. I can get all of the melty sides and not have to share them. Sometimes I even lick the lid. I never do that.

Maybe it's because I can climb into sheets that are nice and cool. No one has spread their warmth and spoiled my love of cold sheets or the coldness of my pillow AND if I want, I can roll over and sleep in MORE cold sheets and MORE cold pillows. No ones snoring is going to wake me up. No one will roll over and grab me in the middle of the night waking me from deep slumber.

Maybe it's because he gets all sentimental when he goes out of town. He calls us and loves on us and leaves little goodbye notes all over the house. He gets up early and makes breakfast so he can eat it with the girls.



It's definitely the bed.

9 comments:

Katherine said...

You crack me up!

I could do for a business trip about now. Don't tell him I said that though.

I too love the cold sheets, especially on my feet.

Do you want me to take the kiddos for a while so you can have some completly alone time? Wow that sounds dreamy doesnt' it?

Candace said...

I am the same way. I love going to bed first so I can stretch out in the cold sheets!

Also I loved your post on gratitude, I think the gloomy cloud must have been hanging around at my house as well. I hate feeling that way. And it's even worse when you feel like you can't get out of it...but it is nice that every once and awhile we can get out of it with the help of our Heavenly Father who knows us best and start to see all the little blessings in our lives! Thanks for sharing, I think your great!

Gabriela said...

He leaves little notes? That is too cute. I would love that too. I don't love it when Guapo travels, but I do kind of enjoy the evenings after I get everyone sleeping-I can just do whatever I want.

Jenn said...

I love love notes... I think that is probably what you love the most. But rolling over to the other side of the bed when my side looses its comfort level sounds beneficial too!!!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Aww. N doesn't go on many business trips, but I think if he did I might feel a bit like you do. Except about the sheets, I do not like cold sheets!

Bilary said...

Tell Jeremy he needs to take Bill next time he goes out of town, and then we could really have a riot!

C♥ said...

i LOVE cold sheets and pillows.

if i wake up in the middle of the night, i will flip my pillow over to get the cool side :o)

Alice said...

Enjoy your cold sheets and the ice cream. They both sound fabulous to me.

Anonymous said...

great post!! That's why I love Wed night, Tim is out late b/c of scouts and the kids go to bed early.