4.10.2008

We Have A Winner!!!!

I catch on to most things rather easily with the exception of two things. Music and chocolate chip cookies. Those two things leave me feeling inept and disgraced.

Music is just not going to happen. Thank goodness I have a musician husband and daughters with rhythm.

The cookie thing I have been trying to remedy for years.

When I make them they have either turned out flat with chocolate chips poking up. And by flat...I mean paper thin, or hard and crunchy and not even remotely resembling anything you have seen in a Mrs. Fields showcase.

I have asked for tips. Use cold pans, room temp everything, you aren't beating them enough, you are beating them too much. Use high altitude recipes, too much sugar, too little sugar, too little flour. Nothing worked.

UGH!!!

I have tried every recipe out there. I have probably wasted several thousand dollars trying to make a decent ccc.

And it makes DH sad.

Because the dude loves chocolate chip cookies.

I have even considered hiring my bff to make them for him on a weekly basis. Hiring out my homemaking skills.

I was cruising around the net this afternoon. I hopped onto Ms. Martha's website. She wasn't my hero before, but she is now.

Right now she has a cookie of the day thing going on. And I found this recipe.


Look at those babies. They are soft and yummy and oh so delicious.

And they have my favorite ingredient. Sour cream.

I think I may have died and gone to heaven.

And DH may have also.

That or people in hell now have ice water.




Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies...courtesy of Martha (or one of her peons)


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons sour cream
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup milk-chocolate chips



Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Beat butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with sour cream, and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Cover, and freeze for 10 minutes.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake until centers are set and cookies are pale golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.



Now...if only Martha knew how to fix tone deafness.

14 comments:

Bilary said...

YAHOO! I will be bringing you down a blue ribbon! I am super impressed. Does this woman know her recipe is worth it's weight in gold? I should take her a blue ribbon as well!

Oh, happy day! (I am singing - thank goodness you can't really hear me because I suck!)

So, when are we having a "Let's celebrate - SHE MASTERED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES - party?

DH has to be stinkin' excited! I will try the new recipe too! Thanks!

Amber said...

I'll give these a try! Sounds interesting- but if they're as good as you say they are? I'll bite.

Bilary said...

P.S. Are you just super excited about this one, or did you not mean to post it three times? :)

Remember that brain thing we were talking about earlier?.....Just kidding!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! I am glad you finally found the right recipe for you. It always amazes me how things turn out so differently when two different people make the exact same recipe. You would think they would be the same. I know from 10 years of experience that it just doesn't happen that way. I hope DH will be happy now. Eat one for me!

loni said...

"Martha (or one of her peons)"

I love that you said this!!

I am looking forward to making this recipe. I love baking and I have yet to find a choc chip recipe that I am truly in love with.

Laurie said...

I'm with you when you say you look high and low. But just seem to fall short every time. I felt the same way for a long time. What a great feeling it is to finally find the winner. I can honestly say that I love my choc. chip cookies. But now I must master creme brulee'. So I can make my DH happy!

You should get the "cinnamon and white chocolate coconut-oat chippers" from Picky Palate's blog. The great thing about these cookies is you can't go wrong, they don't even flatten out when they cook. I even pressed mine down a bit. These cookies are YUMMY!

Kris said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to try them. :)

Mattsmom said...

OOOHHHHH YUMMY! Those look AMAZING! You deserve a gold star! THANK YOU for sharing the recipe!

Ashley said...

They look delish! I will be trying them out soon.

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

wow!! I'll totally have to try them.
Have you ever tried pudding cookies? I really think you would like them. I'll have to send you the recipe. (or do my own post about them!)
I'm very proud of you and your great cookie making!!!!!

sheri said...

I just printed the recipe out...hopefully our apt cools off enough tonight to try these suckers! (who said it could be 95 today?!) Those look absolutely delish!

Chips and Salsa with Beans said...

Hi! You don't know me, I know Indian (her hubby baptized mine while on his mission) anyway, back to the cookies...thanks so much posting this recipe. I accidentally bought unsalted butter and I didn't know what to do with it! My beans (kiddos) are going to be so excited!

Hope you don't mind me blog-crashing!

Alice said...

Hmmm I might have to give these babies a whirl. I royally screw up cookie recipes myself. They look yummy.

Lana said...

Ooo, I'll have to try this one. After reading your Goals for 2008, I've been meaning to give you my CC Cookie recipe that always turns out great for me....I'll email it